MtG Players Union
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Step - requests from PTQ players; Or things that will keep us from going away

+2
atomsmasher
Chomps
6 posters

Go down

First Step - requests from PTQ players; Or things that will keep us from going away Empty First Step - requests from PTQ players; Or things that will keep us from going away

Post  Chomps Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:14 pm

Hello all,

Here are the (reasanoble) changes we would like to see:

1 - A compromise of WoTC that the next year PT schedule as well as the PPC benefits will be available AT LEAST in october (after the results of the third quarter have come in);

2 - All news should be announced in an easy to see banner in their website front page (the banner could even relocate ppl to a BDM article, I'd be cool with that);

3 - The creation of a mail-list informing players of changes and DCI announcments;

4 - The redistribution of the lost PT earning in the remaining four events, since the biggest cost of the PT is probably the rent and logistics. If that saving is not enough, cutting one or two or three GPS would be reasanoble too.

Here we have literally dozens of PTQ players that are scandeled by the news - it's important to remind ourselves that this is not just a Pro problem, but PTQ players, big costumers, and costumers who bring more costumers are scared to death and thinking of giving up the game. We are more scared of the death of the PT, and not of the increased difficulty of living as a pro - sorry pros, but it's true - the death of the PT makes the game pretty pointless; the sudden changes made we lose confidence in WoTC credibility.

Of course I don''t speak in behalf of the whole world, just of the ppl I've spoken in real life, so I expect more people to chip in.

Hugs,

EDIT: I posted this into a separate thread cause I thought it would better organize the discussion and the ideas having both a "first step", a "first step -Pro Players suggestions" and a "first step - PTQ players suggestions"

Chomps

Back to top Go down

First Step - requests from PTQ players; Or things that will keep us from going away Empty Re: First Step - requests from PTQ players; Or things that will keep us from going away

Post  atomsmasher Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:54 pm

in my opinion, the problem is the psychological effect. only few people think, or have the legitimate hope to make a living of magic and become a pro player. nevertheless, the possibility to access such a status is quite appealing. pro tours and championships are both, a source of motivation and a justification to play this game. after all, 90% per cent of the people think card games are just for kids. having a pro tour just adds a new level to that. it shows people that there is more to it, than just painted card board. that tcgs can be games of skill and strategic battles rather than a hobby for small children.

it brings more credibility to the game and insures, that wotc still considers the competitive aspect of the game, by putting some extra thougt in new sets, to ensure neither constructed nor limited formats become in balanced, because there is much money on the line.

the next thing is the coverage of the pro tours. following the action and the newest development creates many positive impulses. it either pushes your ambition and devotion to the game even further, because you hope one day it could be you in the feature match area facing down people you realize and respect for their achievement in your favorite card game or you get excited by new decks you want to try out, be it on the kitchen table or the local fnm.

so even without ever attending a pro tour many people profit from its existence. i'm a really competitive player and really like the opportunity to watch better players than me slingin card board, to learn from it. I love the game because it is rather skill testing and is valve for my competitive personality, but on the other hand can be played just to have some fun with your friends.

Coming to magic from Vs. system, I take this development rather serious, because it reminds me of the downfall of organized play in europe. bad communication and shortening the number of pro tours sounds quite similiar to the situation back in the days.

having a heathy pro tour is in all our best interest. so we must do our best to ensure that entering the gravy train is still possible (lvl. 3 issue) and the number of pro tours stays reasonable.

I'm not sure if i got my point across, but in my opinion this not just a pro issue, but an issue for all of us. but we have to consider that this is probably not a Wotc vs. player fight, but rather a hasbro vs. wotc and players battle.

atomsmasher

Back to top Go down

First Step - requests from PTQ players; Or things that will keep us from going away Empty Re: First Step - requests from PTQ players; Or things that will keep us from going away

Post  MagicRage Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:13 am

I was told today by someone who claims to have worked for Organized Play (OP) until 2007 that there has been talk in Wizards for years about cutting back to 3 Pro Tours.

Just an FYI - I cannot verify their past employment but the person had no reason to make it up.
MagicRage
MagicRage

Back to top Go down

Post  kade Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:37 pm

I'll be clear: I don't play PTQs to become a PRO. That is not my aspiration, and never was. BUT, I think it is necessary that the possibility exists, because, as it was said before, that it what apeals the most to PTQers and without it the PT will most likely be dead in a couple of years. Therefore, I don't think our requests should be that different from those from the pros.

One request I would add though, PTQ oriented, is that in those countries where wizards deals with distributors to intermediate with the players for them, they should try to have more control. In some countries (Spain and Portugal are the ones that come to mind but I am sure the problem is in more) the relationship between organized play run by distributors and players is far from optimal and I am not sure if WotC gets proper feedback about it.

It is not related with the current problem but it can be something we should point out somehow as it is important to address. In fact, I'll open a thread about it as soon as I have time

kade

Back to top Go down

Post  bsushort Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:56 pm

All I really want to see is more PTQs per PT. Note that is note more invites per PTQs, but more PTQs themselves. Those are the highest level tournaments your average semi-competitive player participates in, and I would love to see them get more opportunities to do so.

bsushort

Back to top Go down

Post  biggymac05 Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:49 pm

As someone who lives in Florida, I agree with the sentiments of trying to have more PTQ's per Pro Tour; as taking a road trip to any other state is no less than 5 hours (And I live to the North of Florida), it is extremely hard to participate in multiples. We've talked to friends in the Mid-west that go to 6 or 7 PTQs a Pro Tour, whereas we are lucky to get that in a 5-6 month span

biggymac05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down