MtG Players Union
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

team pro tours

+4
mercenarybdu
atomsmasher
morgop
Shadowhunter483
8 posters

Go down

team pro tours Empty team pro tours

Post  Shadowhunter483 Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:06 pm

What do players think about the team pro tour. It is my understanding that Pros don't care for Two headed giant that much, but what about the other team formats like team draft or emperor?

Shadowhunter483

Back to top Go down

team pro tours Empty 3 person teams

Post  morgop Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:14 pm

From what I heard the 3-person team events were very well received. I would love to see that come back.

I love the 2HG draft, but it ends up being expensive for the host. 2HG sealed is just too random. 2HG rochester could be interesting....

morgop

Back to top Go down

team pro tours Empty Re: team pro tours

Post  atomsmasher Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:14 am

its sad that we did not get a real impression of what 2hg is like because most of the pros refused to work the format out. the result? may be the only team that actually got a plan won the tournament. next thing is, that timespiral was the baddest block possible to introduce 2hg. storm, sliver etc. showed that the format was not testet for 2hg. having played in one 2hg ptq so far, i still like the idea, but more for a casual atmosphere rather than pro tours or ptqs. during my only 2hg ptq all games were decided by storm spells. during one game we made about 18 goblin tokens waiting to crush our opponnents only to get blown out by ignite memories for about 25 damage. probably everything is told, regarding the disadvantages of 2hg as a pt format. having a screwed teampartner equals defeat, problems with unintentional draws, despite the changes, and only playing best of one.

may be lorwyn is a healthier 2hg format than timespiral, but i would appreciate it if 2hg is restricted to prereleases, etc...

atomsmasher

Back to top Go down

Post  mercenarybdu Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:40 am

Teams were alright but then the players had to work as one as well. 2HG was well received by the masses but then again it wasn't the case when it came to the majority of the Pros who would have rather go with Legacy events when it came to the question "which under rated format would you perfer best?" by Evan Erwin.

Because when 2HG was first mainstreamed last season it was all about Draft over what you could actually do with the constructed formats with 2HG. Which left the majority to wonder what is best in such a format if you were to use format B, E, L or S.

There were also a few flaws with doing 2HG as well as all of the other problems we are facing now with this change in the system and the establishment of this forum by Levy.

-not everyone did this sort of draft all the time
-FNM doesn't support it
-people would perfer to see what you could do with the format in constructed rather than just drafting the whole event all the time along with the pick orders
-Games were too short in terms of one massive game (PT SD's data proves it right there)
-There are still things that need to be improved with the format
-It actually made the players actually work as a real team in one game. No offense but not everyone has time to dance with the stars.
-Nobody threw their hat in to host a 2HG PT event which means one less event and PTQ season out of the radar

....if Three person teams were to return then it would definitely have to be Emperor.
mercenarybdu
mercenarybdu

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:38 pm

I hated 2HG but I loved both forms of 3 people teams - both constructed and limited, and I'm sad to see them gone

PV

Back to top Go down

Post  maarten Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:08 pm

not a pro, but I liked 3 man team, have played that a few times including one worlds.. each member has a role and must play to his best ability (unless you are already 2-0 or 0-2 of course)

The 2 HG I have done was often one player being so much better than the 2nd that basically one guy calls all the shots. (Note on Pro teams this might be less of a problem, but on casual level it is)

maarten

Back to top Go down

Post  biggymac05 Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:57 pm

I disgree with the perception of one player being better than the other in a 2hg team as a problem. I've played in quite a few 2hg events (mostly prereleases, but a few PTQ's and States) and think that it was a boost to have a partner who was much better than the other. If two lower level players team up, then they are dead in the water, whereas getting a partner better than you not only allowed you to play, it allowed you to learn. That said, I think the 3 man teams are a better option for a team PT, either limited or constructed, and it certainly wouldnt have to be Emperor

biggymac05

Back to top Go down

Post  mercenarybdu Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:59 am

biggymac05 wrote:I disgree with the perception of one player being better than the other in a 2hg team as a problem. I've played in quite a few 2hg events (mostly prereleases, but a few PTQ's and States) and think that it was a boost to have a partner who was much better than the other. If two lower level players team up, then they are dead in the water, whereas getting a partner better than you not only allowed you to play, it allowed you to learn. That said, I think the 3 man teams are a better option for a team PT, either limited or constructed, and it certainly wouldnt have to be Emperor

Perhaps if Emperor was added into the mix there would be the 3 person teams once again but with the fact that all team members having a role as well as working as a real team all in a single game.

So that could replace 2HG but at the same time not as the DCI would then have to set up another set of guidelines to make the format balanced and workable as there happen to be not many so far.
mercenarybdu
mercenarybdu

Back to top Go down

Post  Reindeercards Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:09 am

I think the problem wth 2HG is that there's only one game rather than best 2 out of 3. If your deck randomly decides to screw you or if an opponent gets his God draw, you've lost the entire match.

The format greatly increases the luck factor and decreases the skill factor by taking out sideboarding strategies.

What not have a vintage 2HG pro tour event? Everyone can come with their favorite turn one or turn two combo deck and we could decide matchs based on the coin flip. Think of how much money Wizards would save by holding a 16 round tournament in only three hours.

Reindeercards

Back to top Go down

Post  mercenarybdu Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:14 am

Reindeercards wrote:I think the problem wth 2HG is that there's only one game rather than best 2 out of 3. If your deck randomly decides to screw you or if an opponent gets his God draw, you've lost the entire match.

The format greatly increases the luck factor and decreases the skill factor by taking out sideboarding strategies.

What not have a vintage 2HG pro tour event? Everyone can come with their favorite turn one or turn two combo deck and we could decide matchs based on the coin flip. Think of how much money Wizards would save by holding a 16 round tournament in only three hours.

Remember that the company is still panning out the problems of the format like every other format they analyze under a microscope. So One Big Game without SBing wasn't so much of a great idea after all as denying players of SBs has created a problem already with shorter games and decisions that have to be made right there and right on the spot before being wiped off the radar.

i could see that cutting the Team event for this season was a good idea as they could reconsider how to make the format more playable rather than booed.
mercenarybdu
mercenarybdu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down